Monday, January 31, 2011

String of Dreams



As I awoke one morning, the string of dreams that amused my subconcious all night were still vivid enough in my memory that I thought I'd do a little experiment and write them.  There is no real punctuation either.  Are your dreams punctuated?  A Sunday morning oddity...

There was a young teacher with brown hair who was to teach us
and the plays and the performing would come later as is the rule
she was directing Alice in Wonderland and I could have the Cheshire Cat
 if I passed the math
so I struggled and struggle
but never really knew the math
and knew I would fail
but I put on the costume anyway
it is diaphanous and masked my face with cloth 
but when I smiled the grin would be seen behind the chiffon
I was lost in the maze of school corridors going to the test for some time
as were others
but I  found my way after asking to borrow a pen from a lady at a desk
 who looked at me like I was lying when I said I return all pens I borrow, 
I opened the door and my seat in  the crowded hall was across the room
and in the front where the teacher said you are just in time
so I bow to her silently but like royalty and sit
and a folder with sparkles was placed in front of me to open
when we were commanded to. 
In silence at first all the costumed children broke the seals on the folders
and slowly as we all looked inside there was no test
 no math test
 just a gilt program for the play Alice
with all of our names next to the characters we were to play
and the low murmur became a tumult as we sighed relieved, no math test.
~~~
 
And then I was in business attire at a Mexican restaurant
with the woman who worked at disney
and felt it her mission to explain islam
and I had to go to the restroom and so did she
so we went down a stair case
and there was a perfectly common men’s room
but the ladies room was not
and Sue was in front of me in line and when she went in
one of the walls of the restroom was clear glass
and the people waiting for tables outside could see into the ladies room
so I didn’t stay
and the wall with the door to the room was a flat
from a  theatrical set
painted black.
~~~ 
 
And then I was on top floor of a hotel that looked like a ziggurat
with high jutting balconies wrapping around
and no rails
everyone else went down in the elevator
but some guy with a tie and a mix CD of tunes I had never heard
offered to teach me how to descend by counting my steps every floor
so I would (n’t) walk off the ends
 so he blindfolded me and walked with me down each  level
and we counted our steps
a couple more longer each floor
until he picked me up in his arms and began running
saying trust me
and I was terrified
but trusting that he knew what he was doing
because he was counting
he knew the math to the ground floor.
~~~
 
Standing with another woman
I suspect my best friend
with our boots propped up on the bumper of the car
we’re both wearing hats and waiting
he came riding down the side of the rode on horseback
and we ride to meet him
he hands her a whisk broom from out of his pocket
and she rides on ahead
and I trot by and grab a broom too
and we turn away from the car
which looks broken
and ride to the herd over a culvert
and I say
when we get this bunch in to where they’re going
we’re going back for the car right? 
He says no never going back
but there’s a computer and a diamond ring in there
what if someone breaks into it? 
Doesn’t matter he said and reined his horse around
to pursue the other woman who had traversed the culvert
and was working the herd in the opposite direction
I wanted to do the job and do it in a day
but I knew I would disappoint him
because my hips and knees were already hurting
I wouldn’t be able to walk by midday
deciding to stay with the car
looking back over my shoulder it looks more like shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on! Blurt, rant or engage in verbal disrobement! Anything goes, so indulge yourself right here, right now.

I'm listening.